home     mapwing     support  

support

forums

email us

Quark Xpress vs. InDesign View next topic
View previous topic
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:44 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Here at Redbug I tend to do most of the design and desktop publishing work. When I first learned about computer aided design, I was using Quark Xpress. It was not the slickest program ever created, but it ran well under the Classic versions of the Mac OS. In the late 90s and early 2000s, I was a Quark diehard. The program was fairly straightforward and intuitive. Used alongside Photoshop and Illustrator, I could design just about anything I needed. Furthermore, commercial printers had standardized on it, making Quark files the format of choice for going to press.

When Apple made the switch to OS X, most designers were left wondering what would happen to Quark Xpress. Quark was committed to bringing Xpress to the new OS, though their timeframe was less than desirable. Most designers, like myself, ended up running Quark Xpress 5 under Classic emulation for many years after making the switch to X. In 2003, Quark 6 finally added OS X support. Designers were expecting big things. However, the app ran like a dog, was full of bugs, and had few, if any, new features. It was a lot of money to shell out just for X compatibility.

So I took a look at Adobeís InDesign.

I had first played with InDesign in the late 90s when it first released. Quark was better at that point. But, in the tech world, things can change very quickly. Today, in my opinion, InDesign is the premiere application for desktop publishing. Besides integrating well with the rest of Adobeís apps, InDesign has excellent PDF support. This is especially important as more and more printers move toward a PDF workflow. Creating high-quality PDFs is becoming mission critical for designers. Most Redbug printed materials end up as a PDF at one point or another. The Mapwing userís guides were all created with InDesign and take advantage of the appís PDF links and compression options. In general, I would recommend Adobeís InDesign over Quark Xpress to those in the design or desktop publishing field.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic